Friday 30 January 2015

American Sniper


Bradely, Bradley, Cooper, Chris, Kyle
Movie Poster

This week on MC's Film Critique I look at American Sniper. I am really excited to talk about this film!

Alright so me and the g.f. went to see this the other night and wow. When I watched Saving Private Ryan for the first time and they storm the beaches of Normandy, I felt like it was an accurate representation of what it must have been like to storm the beach in WWII. I got that same feeling from this film. It might have been due to the fact that I watched it in AVX and all the sound effects were so fantastic. When a helicopter flew by, I felt like a helicopter actually flew by. When they were in a fire fight, I felt like it was happening all around me.


Not once do I recall hearing the word "clip" when the term "mag" should have been used. This is a pet peeve of mine. Look at the picture to the left, there is a difference! They are not interchangeable. You can't put a clip inside a magazine fed weapon and vice versa!

I did feel as if the film over glorified being a Sniper. Although, it's a war movie and they all glorify one aspect or another somehow. It did bug me that Chris Kyle had no spotter in the film when he would have had one in real life. Snipers work in squads of two, a shooter and a spotter. 

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this film. The way the credits came on screen, I thought was very appropriate.It did feel eerie to leave a theatre in such a manner.

Overall the acting was solid. Bradley Cooper gave an amazing performance, the rest of the actors were great as well. However the baby could not be more fake. Watch College Humors take on it.

Remember the film is based on a book which was written after the events took place. Odds are not everything happened as it did in real life but that does not take away from the general feel of the film. I would suggest you watch this one if you like action and war films.



Badge: None 

Rating: 9/10


12 comments:

  1. Meh I thought it was just more American propaganda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. Still want to see this! - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff you gotta make time worth the watch.

      Delete
  3. I've been itching to see this, and this post just made me want to see it more! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks that's how I hope all my posts work, they should make choosing a movie easier!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to see this movie! Great review

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this movie as well! I am excited to see what awards it pulls out during Oscar season. I feel as though there must be some in store for this film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for sure, I'm quite curious myself.

      Delete
  6. This movie was incredible and it definitely paid off at the Oscars. Maybe it didn't win against The Grand Budapest, but it definitely struck a cord with many North Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering if this movie was worth seeing after hearing all the hype and controversy. I like Bradley as an actor so I am happy you approve of it, now I can hopefully still catch it in the cinemas!

    ReplyDelete