Friday 6 February 2015

Into The Woods


Movie Poster

This week on MC's Film Critique I look at Into The Woods. I have been sitting on this one for a few weeks and it's still in theatres!

Lets start off with, the fact that film is based off a musical play, based off of a book. I can not stress that enough. The film is a musical. When I was deciding whether or not to see the film, I looked it up on Tribute. I read the comments and many seemed mad that the film was a musical... These people were too focused on an aspect that I was pleasantly surprised to learn (prior to watching the film). It's like they have no possible way of finding out any information prior to watching a film. *cough read my reviews next time cough*




Lets talk about the film, I'm done my little rant.

The film starts off singing, while it seamlessly weaves many fairy tales together. The main characters are taken from Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, Rapunzel, and Cinderella, as well as several others. They each play a role in one another's story until the main plot brings them together in a new fairy tale involving all of the characters.

I have never seen the play but I bet it was damn good. This film had me wondering how and who would fit where! I didn't feel that the film was predictable. There was a plot point with the bakers wife that didn't seem to fit with the whole story but, you can't please everyone.

The special effects were great, they didn't look cheesy unlike the baby in American Sniper, which I just happen to review over here.

Dr. Who, Craig Owens, Closing time, Cybermen, Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All

One thing I could not stop thinking during the film was that Doctor Who, played by Matt Smith was going to show up to save Stormageddon and Craig who, was played by the same actor as the baker.

The acting was great, the effects are pretty damn good, the story is excellent minus my dispute with the one plot point.


This film is a must see, as long as you like singing and fun.



Badge: Cinematography Badge

Rating: 9.5/10


10 comments:

  1. Your review has me excited to go watch this movie! Cant wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good you need to see this film!

      Delete
  2. I LOVED this movie! I watched it on family date night and loved every second. Needless to say my dad hates us because every movie we take him to ends up being a musical (Les Miserables)...BUT all the girls loved it and that's what matters. The best part was the surprising and amazing ending to Cinderella's love story. Great review Martin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Musicals are not bad, they are just different! Look at: Sound of Music, Hello Dolly, The King and I, Sweeny Todd just to name a few all are fantastic!

      Delete
  3. Disney is killing it lately, eh? Movies for kids that still appeal to adults. Been wanting to see this! - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have been putting out good films. Some of which I feel have a bit lacking. However that is not the case with this one!

      Delete
  4. We did this musical at my elementary school and I played little red riding hood! Love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the film was it just like the play or were there some changes?

      Delete
  5. Loved the Grimm Brothers aspect of the stories and how they intertwined. I agree with the rating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Brothers Grimm aspects were some of the best parts, it shows the Disney knows their audience and believed that they could handle it. It would have sucked if they fluffed it up like they do their children s films. This was not a film for kids it was meant for a more mature crowd and I think they nailed it!

      Delete