Friday 13 March 2015

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1



This week on Mc's Film Critique I watched The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1.

I want to start off by saying that I never read this book series. I was told about it by a camper in summer camp years ago. My interest was peaked enough to see the first film. I thoroughly like dystopian/ utopian fiction. I was required to read a book called WE by Yevgeny Zamyatin for one of my history classes and LOVED IT! That being said, I will go watch this type of film any day of the week, good or bad just to see what's what. 


Lets dive into this film. It is the third installment of the Hunger Games series adapted from the books of the same name. I don't like watching a film half way through and not getting to the end, so I will watch this series to the end. I have a need to find out what happened. This film is a part 1 of a final chapter to this story and unlike the Hobbit which I had problems with (click here for that blog), the ending in this film feels satisfactory. The entire series has not been concluded yet, but the film has a logical ending. As a viewer, you get a  sense of closure but the film leaves you eager to see Part 2 of this series.


Buttercup The Cat
The film is slow paced in comparison to The Hunger Games and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,  but it's setting the stage for the second part. When the DVD comes out, watching part one and two in succession will be awesome!

The effects in the film looked really good. When they were in a forest, destroyed  buildings, city or aircraft it all looked real. 


The story didn't have any unnecessary plot points. Even the choice to take a cat had purpose in the film (yes, there was a cat and it's fluffy). The characters acted in what felt like real life, driven by emotion and a sense of duty. Jennifer Lawrence  gave us a great performance, as did the rest of the cast. Natalie Dormer is in this film. You may recognize her from the popular show Game of Thronesmaking this film a must see if you haven't yet. 


Natalie Dormer
Like I said earlier the film is slow paced, something people may not like in comparison to the two films before it.

I recommend this film. It makes up for the the previous blunders of the other two films in this series.

Badge: None
Rating: 8/10

12 comments:

  1. I hate reading and I was obsessed with book one and two of the Hunger Games, I never read Mockingjay but obviously sparknoted the spoilers! Looking forward to part 2.

    p.s. Did you notice the special cameo by Fulton Reed from The Mighty Ducks? He played Pollux the avox (guy who couldn't talk). Cool Fact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to see this film Martin! I agree with Dana, I hate reading books too! I find if you read an entire series of books (Eg. Harry Potter) and then watch the films that they never do compare! People always say that the books are better. Although watching the first Hunger Games movie without reading the book, I did throughly enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told the first film was better as a film as parts were taken out

      Delete
  4. The books were an amazing read (even if it was a short one) and so far the films have been relatively true to them. From the books to the movie I could tell exactly what was coming next and what they would leave out, and they hit almost every note perfectly in my mind. Awesome movies and I can't wait for the next one either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was definitely my favorite of the three movies so far. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a pretty intense movie eh. Good read man, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete