Saturday 11 April 2015

Disney's Cinderella



 Hello! Sorry everyone it's been a few weeks since my last post. I've been busy! 

Welcome to Mc's Film Critique! Recently I watched Disney's Cinderella (not by choice) and I knew nothing about this particular film going in.

I watched the trailer before writing this post and if you're reading this and have not seen the film or the trailer, good for you! Don't watch the trailer as-per-usual, it gives away just about everything! I really hate when trailers do that. Here is the link to the Trailer if you want to see it (don't click unless you're sure).

This version of the fairy tale I think is second only to the Brothers Grim version which is awesome! The film starts of with Cinderella living with both of her parents, something that you will recall is not true in Disney's original motion picture. This works really well because when she is left with her step-mother and step-sisters you're far more invested in her character.

(left to right) Helena, Lily, Richard and Cate
I thought the acting was really good. Cate Blanchett played her part to the top of her performing abilities. She gave a spectacular portrayal of the stepmother. Lily James did a great job playing opposite of Blanchett and showed us a Cinderella who can hold her own. Richard Madden former star of Game of Thrones, seems to have been chosen for both his acting and his good looks. He gave a very desirable portrayal of a prince. Like I said strong cast.

There was a lot of CGI animals, and I'm ever more impressed with animators, because the CGI looks more and more real each year. Click here for a top 10 worst CGI list by Watchmojo.com

The transformation from an everyday girl to princess was over the top! I already said how good the animation was but I will say it again, it was really good! The way each different aspect of her carriage was assembled and transformed was fantastic. I particularly liked how each transformed thing retained some of its previous forms aspects.


I would have liked a little more depth from the step sisters, they were pretty dimwitted. There is also some secret past of the step mother which never really gets flushed out, which sucks because I wanted more from this aspect of the story. It's just teased, which was a shame as it could have given more to the story, but oh well.


Overall good film! Go watch it! As my friend Jeff has said "Disney has been killing it lately, eh!"





Badge: Cinematography Badge 
Rating: 9/10



No comments:

Post a Comment